PTSD Therapy

Information and Discussions about PTSD

Moderator: Chris

PTSD Therapy

Postby cary » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:37 pm

My VA Psychologist has suggested another PTSD therapy plan. "Prolonged Exposure", simply stated, amounts to "confronting safe but anxiety-arousing situations in order to decrease excessive fear and anxiety". In other words, revisiting and repeatedly discussing some of the worst events. It's similar to the old classic advice to a rider to "get back on the horse" after being thrown off. She says she has experienced good, long-term success with this therapy. On the downside, short -term effects include severely heightened symptoms. While I'd welcome any success/improvement, I'm concerned about the more immediate difficulties.

Any of you guys gone thru this therapy? Your thoughts/comments would be welcome and helpful. I'm pretty fuckin wound up about this shit, due to start on Tues, Nov. 4th, with sessions bi-weekly.
Cary
Da BOSS @ Retired with Jeeps & Lovin it !

I just can't help it. I am even a BAD INFLUENCE on myself !!!
cary
Mob Team Member
Mob Team Member

Start Date In-Country 1st Tour: 20 Aug 1971
End Date In-Country 1st Tour: 20 Aug 1972
Mob Team Member: YES

Re: PTSD Therapy

Postby Chuck » Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:20 pm

Cary,
I have found out that repeating the many stories of what I saw and did do seem to de-sensitize the impact of those moments and events leaving me wondering why I allowed them to bother me to begin with. There are fewer and fewer of these now, however there are a few that still stick in my craw and give me some anxiety.
"Those who pound their firearms into plowshears will plow for those who didn't."
Thomas Jefferson
Chuck
Mob Team Member
Mob Team Member

Start Date In-Country 1st Tour: 23 Dec 1969
End Date In-Country 1st Tour: 22 Dec 1970
Start Date In-Country 2nd Tour: 14 Aug 1971
End Date In-Country 2nd Tour: 04 May 1972

Postby cary » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:24 pm

Well, I did not start the PE therapy.
Several reasons including concerns expressed by brothers and the recent passing of our beloved Golden Retriever, Cheech.
Maybe another time............

I'd still like input from more of you guys. Thanks Buzz & Chuck.
Cary

cary
Mob Team Member
Mob Team Member

Postby SteveC » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:11 am

To All,

I have a good friend who is a brother 605, served in the 15th stationed at An Hoa (6 AF 605's with a shitload of Marines) for 6 months. He then went on constant deployments all over I Corps. He signed up for the sessions that Cary is going to, out of 12 people to start he was the only one to finish. Being on the outside looking in I saw a man go from marginally FUCKED UP to severely FUCKED UP. He told the VA that this was no right to make people relive their experiences over and over again. They even went so far as to have him write several 800 word plus essays about them. My take on it is that I would ask them if they knew Felix Ungers initials and be done with it. But that's me.

Be well brothers,

Steve
SteveC
Mob Team Member
Mob Team Member

Start Date In-Country 1st Tour: 14 Apr 1969
End Date In-Country 1st Tour: 14 Apr 1970

Postby Buzz » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:45 pm

Completely agree, Steve. All that shrink "theory of the month" bullshit that only makes things worse, then they rubber stamp you as cured, then take away your disability check! The only "cure" I see in that scenario is guys punching-out, and lessening the VA case file backload, and leaving more money for the shrinks' "performance" bonuses.

In my humble opinion, the BEST therapy is found right here in our forum pages, talking to the guys who truly understand all the whats and whys of the problem. No bobble-head theories...just lots of compassion, understanding, camaraderie, real world shared experience...and lots of "brother love"!

Just sayin'...

- Buzz
Buzz
Mob Team Member
Mob Team Member

Start Date In-Country 1st Tour: 08 Apr 1970
End Date In-Country 1st Tour: 11 Apr 1971

Postby Chuck » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:06 am

Reminds me of the old Bob Newhart Show's one episode where Bob runs into his Psychoanalysis mentor played Keenan Wynn. "So...so, tell me Doctor what is the essence of psychoanalysis?" Keenan Wynn looks at Newhart in a long poignant, thoughtful moment and then replies..."It's all crap!"
"Those who pound their firearms into plowshears will plow for those who didn't."
Thomas Jefferson
Chuck
Mob Team Member
Mob Team Member

Postby Buzz » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:23 am

Yes, lol! Also reminds me of Professor Irwin Corey...remember him on Gleason, Sullivan, Smothers Brothers, etc.?
Buzz
Mob Team Member
Mob Team Member

Start Date In-Country 1st Tour: 08 Apr 1970
End Date In-Country 1st Tour: 11 Apr 1971

Postby Chuck » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:53 am

Buzz, I gotta' admit I don't...not by that name. I probably saw him though. If I saw a clip I probably would. Psychology is such a pile of 'non-exact' science; speculation and conjecture. How the hell can someone get their doctorate in this field and not laugh at themselves. One of the prerequisites for a PhD. is to go through analysis...who'd want to see how f***ed up I am? Didn't need for somebody to tell me I'm screwed up! :lol:

Therapy that works for me involves numerous mag dumps at zombie targets at the local range. No, they won't allow rag-head targets, but if the rag-head is a zombie....well...
Thomas Jefferson
Chuck
Mob Team Member
Mob Team Member

Postby cary » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:33 pm

Thanks for the input, guys.
You've sure got me rethinking that PE therapy.
I see my VA Psych on 11/18; we'll definitely discuss further.
Thanks again, brothers.
Cary

cary
Mob Team Member
Mob Team Member

Return to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Information