My Story

Talk about the things we did and how we did them as well as where we did them

Moderator: Chris

Re: My Story

Postby Sam Lewis » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:35 pm

Here is a photo of DijMap being attacked as a MOB team was conducting an operation. As best as I can remember it was early 1970. My good friend Hugo Probst and at least one other member of the team that day was wounded by shrapnel. Probst, like me, was a fill-in. If you hadn't noticed this picture was taken from a position very, very close to the ground. Anyone else remember any of the events of that day or was at DigMap let me know

Love ya man!!!
Attachments
Dijmap under fire.JPG
Sam Lewis
Mob Team Member
Mob Team Member

Start Date In-Country 1st Tour: 01 Jun 1969
End Date In-Country 1st Tour: 01 Jun 1970
Mob Team Member: YES

Postby Chris » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:54 pm

Sam if you go to Member Stories on the NEW site I have started your stuff. I need captions much like what you did here for the pics as I get them up. Also where they are is very helpful as you can tell from your menu. If I have any misplaced just let me know. As soon As I get yours then I have to do Steve's and Jim's plus about 6 others. I also want to get Ron's on his pages. Thanks.
Success is the Sum of Failure and Learning
Chris
Mob Team Member
Mob Team Member

Start Date In-Country 1st Tour: 04 Jul 1969
End Date In-Country 1st Tour: 04 Jul 1970

Postby Sam Lewis » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:34 pm

OK guys here is a little blast from the past for you. I build AR's as a hobby and decided to build a Vietnam era A1. You would not believe how hard it was to find parts. Seems the triangle forearms would always break only the right side. I was able to find boxes of lefts but no rights. Finally found a set still in the Govt. issued brown paper.

Remember the S&W 38special revolvers, the stripper clips and spoons and of course the bandoleers.

Love ya man!!!

Sam Lewis
Attachments
013.JPG
Sam Lewis
Mob Team Member
Mob Team Member

Postby Sam Lewis » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:45 pm

Here is a little clearer picture
Attachments
DSCF0314.JPG
Sam Lewis
Mob Team Member
Mob Team Member

Postby Chuck » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:52 pm

I definitely remember the S&W .38. Seems to me it was the Model 10 and they issued lead heads with them. Got a box of tinkets up in the attic that soemhow found their way home. In it as stripper clips (empty) and the loader. Then there are the grenade pins...consussion grenades maybe? CS grenades maybe? Frags? Then of course there's the P-38's and MPC along with some Piaster notes. A lot of that stuff was what I had on me when they came and got us in May '72. "You guys aren't suppsoed to be here." No sh**? I had already processed out back in April you effin' idiot! Damn, now I could use some of that 'Virginny' Moonshine' Sam!
"Those who pound their firearms into plowshears will plow for those who didn't."
Thomas Jefferson
Chuck
Mob Team Member
Mob Team Member

Start Date In-Country 1st Tour: 23 Dec 1969
End Date In-Country 1st Tour: 22 Dec 1970
Start Date In-Country 2nd Tour: 14 Aug 1971
End Date In-Country 2nd Tour: 04 May 1972

Postby SteveC » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:39 pm

Sam,
To satisfy any questions about Rang Rang app 26 km ENE of Phouc Vinh ans 66 km NNE of Siagon, listed as insecure
SteveC
Mob Team Member
Mob Team Member

Start Date In-Country 1st Tour: 14 Apr 1969
End Date In-Country 1st Tour: 14 Apr 1970

Postby Sam Lewis » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:23 pm

Steve, here is an aerial picture of Rang Rang. As you can see the runway is way outside the perimeter. Unsecure is putting it lightly. Sgt. Ron remembers this place and I am sure some of you were probably in there at some time. Anybody else got any memories of Rang Rang?

Love ya man!!

Sam Lewis
Attachments
Bunard-Rang Rang.jpg
Sam Lewis
Mob Team Member
Mob Team Member

Postby Jim » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:32 pm

File0404.jpg
my first mobility in 1966...dak to....
rang rang,,,look at the 7th air force paper showing jim greene eating sea rations...that picture was taken at rang rang...that was my first mobility with alan. I loaded up all the things to head out...one thing was ighoo full of ice water...got done loading a plane went over to get a drink..no water....what the hell happen to it I asked..alan felt sorry for some gooks and give it away...boy was I pissed...went down to the SF camp and got some more..met the camp commander at the time...medal of honor winner from the korea war...dijmap,,,remember that damn place well...the was my last mobility in country...had 14 days left...the only time in two and a half years I know I got shot at missed...was at the south end picking up a conex box to take back to the north end...drop forks to line up...heard a pop and a sound go by my ear..sit there for a second than It hit me...some asshole is firing at me...I left the damn conex and got myself back to the north end...told the army if you want that box on the next plane go get the gook or the box,,,i was not going back...they went and got the box...later than evening the company of ground pounders pull up left us there...only us and the force in laught out..cct...was left there. I asked them to find something I don't care if it was a huey I was not going to spend the night there...six mobility guys and cct...whow...not me...a model c-130 was flying by and heard them coming the bitch and they drop in to pick us up...that was my last trip to the field...I been mortor rocketed but I never remembered getting shot at, but that time...like I said earlier, I want to get out of this place ..jim
Jim
Mob Team Member
Mob Team Member

Start Date In-Country 1st Tour: 24 Nov 1965
End Date In-Country 1st Tour: 24 Nov 1966
Start Date In-Country 2nd Tour: 05 Jun 1969
End Date In-Country 2nd Tour: 17 Apr 1970

Postby sgt ron » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:10 am

Most of the time when we took cattle to the camps we loaded them on the C-123's.
I think that at Rang Rang we took them in the C7A (BOU's), landed and taxied to about mid-way down the strip.
We shoved the cattle out the back and the pilot took off.
It took us about 4 minutes and we were back in the air.
We did this about once every other week.
We watched them chase the cattle from the air.

We did it a couple time with the Aussie's, Now that was a thrill ride.
Hi-up, straight down, land, roll a few feet, never stop, shove out the cattle.
Roll a few more feet. Then straight up.
Maybe 1-2 minutes on the ground.
I flew with them to several places.
They just shoved stuff off the ramp onto the landing strip.
If you want to get off, you thru off your stuff and jumped off the ramp.
If you wanted on, throw your stuff on the ramp and they would try to drag you on.
Not everyone made it. They would just throw there stuff off the ramp as they took off.

The Aussies were never on the ground very long any where we landed. Except for Dalat. To load cattle, go to town, and BS/Tell stories. We gave them watermelons. They loved watermelons. They gave us some kind of biscuit. Carried it around for days chewing on it. I think they just flew around Vietnam on there own schedule that they made up as they went.
I have several Aussie Bou stories............maybe later.

I don't remember ever leaving the Bou at any time on cattle runs.
I do remember the VC mortars and them shooting at us.
There was never any Air Force mobility guys there on any of the the strip that I remember.
Remember, you are NOT alone! Don't give up....don't ever give up!
sgt ron
Mob Team Member
Mob Team Member

Start Date In-Country 1st Tour: 04 Nov 1967
End Date In-Country 1st Tour: 03 Nov 1968

Postby Sam Lewis » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:49 am

Everybody gets confused about Rang Rang. There were actually 2 of them, both in III corps. The one I was at was just below Song Be. It was called Bunard/Rang Rang. I think the Village was named Bunard and the runway was named Rang Rang. It got really busy up there in the spring of 1970. unbeknownst to us it was a staging area for Cambodia. they were moving a lot of troops up that way. The SF/CID's also captured a shit load of enemy weapons, supplies, etc. Seems there was a major VC camp located not far from there. They found an UG hospital and all kinds off stuff there.

Jimmy Wade was actually at both Rang Rang's, but I was at Bunard/Rang Rang I think it was around April 1970. We were actually there twice. first time we recovered pallets and were suppose to load out some stuff and get some inbound, but no planes came in all day. They told us we may have to stay, which didn't sound like much fun, but later that afternoon they came in and got us. A few days later we went back and did the mission. Seems there was a screw up somewhere and they forgot to tell us. Second time there were hueys moving grunts out of there to some FSB they were setting up. Did NOT like that place... don't know why cause it was not real crazy, just did not like the feel of the place. You ever get those kind of feelings???

Sam Lewis
Sam Lewis
Mob Team Member
Mob Team Member

Previous

Return to On the Airstrip