Pet Peeve

Talk about the things we did and how we did them as well as where we did them

Moderator: Chris

Re: Pet Peeve

Postby Chuck » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:00 pm

...And not necessarily in that order. :lol: :D ;)
"Those who pound their firearms into plowshears will plow for those who didn't."
Thomas Jefferson
Chuck
Mob Team Member
Mob Team Member

Start Date In-Country 1st Tour: 23 Dec 1969
End Date In-Country 1st Tour: 22 Dec 1970
Start Date In-Country 2nd Tour: 14 Aug 1971
End Date In-Country 2nd Tour: 04 May 1972
Mob Team Member: YES

Postby cary » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:03 pm

Uhh, DEFINITELY not in that order..........AND, it ain't the "Fingers" either !!!!!!!!!!!!
Cary
Da BOSS @ Retired with Jeeps & Lovin it !

I just can't help it. I am even a BAD INFLUENCE on myself !!!
cary
Mob Team Member
Mob Team Member

Start Date In-Country 1st Tour: 20 Aug 1971
End Date In-Country 1st Tour: 20 Aug 1972

Postby sgt ron » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:22 pm

Every now and then we would get a new load in and it would be like that. "That wasn't his job."
It was an easy fix, We were only able to get a few air craft on the strip at a time and most got there early in the morning.
They were in and loaded and out quickly.
We would tell the load we would be back when "He" fixed the problem and move on to the next air craft. They would become the last to load.
After getting his ass chewed out by the AC commander, it didn't happen again with him.
Remember, you are NOT alone! Don't give up....don't ever give up!
sgt ron
Mob Team Member
Mob Team Member

Start Date In-Country 1st Tour: 04 Nov 1967
End Date In-Country 1st Tour: 03 Nov 1968

Postby Chuck » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:49 pm

Yep! Did that more than a few times. At Cam Ranh (14th APS) we'd get the 'Phan Rang Gang Bang' at 0700 hours every morning, loading three Logair pallets on who knows how many C-123's. The air crew just stayed out of our way as we corner lashed the pallets and spun devices. That was a hot hurry but it got done. Then the 'T' tails would come in with MAC crews that really didn't want to be there. We'd already have the 10-pallet breakdown for the upload and in most cases the loads would glance at the weights and shrug 'okay' and then head to the Manifest Building which was air conditioned. Then we'd get the ones with their '-9's glued to their hands. For those guys, especially at night, we'd take out helmets and flak vests for them. Eyes got big and then they just wave us on. "Yeah, yeah. Whatever! Get us turned around!"

At one time Jim Greene showed up way down at Delta 20 something with a new 'jeep' for a five-pallet upload. There were no lights that far down the revetment rows and nearly in the Navy sector. Mortars started raining in. Jim just looked at his watch and said something like "...Oh! It must be 0230!" Real casual like. We uploaded him but his 'jeep' was hiding in the corner of the revetment.
"Those who pound their firearms into plowshears will plow for those who didn't."
Thomas Jefferson
Chuck
Mob Team Member
Mob Team Member

Postby sgt ron » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:34 pm

Sometime we would get in fresh air crews from out side of Vietnam.
Always in nice clean C-130's.
They wore nice new flight suits with a scarf around their neck.
New caps with patches on them. Bright rank pins. New black boots.
They were ready for the war........
We started loading very early after daylight and the fog lifted.
Cam Ly air field was at 5000 feet so it was cold or cool early in the mornings.
They really looked sharp.
Most made 4-5 trips in and out a day.
Almost every thing we shipped out went to the forward landing strips, (dirt or PSP)
On the second trip in, scarf was gone.
The next trip, flight suit unzipped to the waist and tied around the waist.
The white t-shirt was red or had been removed.
They would be covered in red dust or red mud.
Cap gone, no rank pins, etc.
By the end of the day the joking around had stopped.
They were tired.
Then we would get a mortar or two and stuff got serious real quick for them.
There is more but, You get the idea.

They would be back the next day to do it all over again and they were not the same.........
Wearing green utilities, pistol on the hip, brown t-shirt, jungle boots, flack vest, green cap no patches or rank pin.
It didn't take them long to figure it out.
Remember, you are NOT alone! Don't give up....don't ever give up!
sgt ron
Mob Team Member
Mob Team Member

Start Date In-Country 1st Tour: 04 Nov 1967
End Date In-Country 1st Tour: 03 Nov 1968

Postby Jim » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:58 pm

this was in 1966 at pleiku ab the nam....we had c124 from japan...it was full of helicopter blades for the 1st cav...there was a young and new loadmaster on the plane,,now you understand this was the second or third flt we had with them on board..anyway we told the load to move them slow from the wall or they would swing cross and pen us against the other wall...he was a smart ass as always....told us he knew what he was doing..ok..asshole..well he did it...and we got pen against the wall...now you see i only tell them one time...i reach down and got a device..damn it hurt,,,,and chase the sob down the ramp...i did not catch him cause my boss got me and calm me down...never saw him again...oh well shit happen..my boss that got me was a c124 load...he knew what we were talking about..to this day andy and i talk to each other..he retired as a chief...out of travis afb, ca...
Jim
Mob Team Member
Mob Team Member

Start Date In-Country 1st Tour: 24 Nov 1965
End Date In-Country 1st Tour: 24 Nov 1966
Start Date In-Country 2nd Tour: 05 Jun 1969
End Date In-Country 2nd Tour: 17 Apr 1970

Postby Chuck » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:57 pm

oh, I remember those 'Deuce Four's'. We were downloading a communications van one night which barely fit past the bulkhead leading to the nose ramps when Charlie decided to lob some ordnance at us. Only way out was through the elevator. Luckily there was a bunch of bagged mail on the elevator which was down on the ground so we all bailed.

Just thought of pet peeves that occurred all the time and seemed always prevalent during 'life-or-death' turn-around's or uploads...devices that weren't unscrewed so that we'd have to unscrew them to their full length. Add to that the busted aluminum rim that would gouge the hands. Another was the metal milk stools that never sat right when the ramp was run-down. Loved the 2x4 milk stools. Oh, how 'bout people that didn't know how to do a chain-gate or the 'loads' that wanted a barrier net on a light weight load. Not to mention the five-pallet uploads that never seemed to want to lock in...SHIT! (Remembering too much.)

Uploading AT's was easy but uploading 25K's...shit, shit, shit! (This was done at Little Rock when I was with the 2nd APS. They had more 'experts' & manuals than they did 25k chains and devices.)
Thomas Jefferson
Chuck
Mob Team Member
Mob Team Member

Postby Jim » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:58 am

pleiku ab the nam 1966...this was when mac still had the c130e...this plane came from mcguire afb nj...ok it land pull into the ramp area drop the ramp,,,put milk stool under it...oh shit...it was floor loaded with about 25000 of freight...shit we dont need this...luke the gook going to love this...anyway we started pulling the load out and we were just finishing up...when we finally figured it out that the crew was navy,,,yes fucking navy crew...anyway we got done and the loadmaster handed me a broom...yea right...i asked him what this is for..total me to clear his plane out...i was about to loose it and till him to put the damn broom up his ass when a mortar hit the ramp..that ramp went up so fast and i was gone...so was the plane...lol
Jim
Mob Team Member
Mob Team Member

Postby Chuck » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:46 pm

What's with the Navy and rollers? They never employed rollers. Always floor loaded. I did see one with rollers...like the ones we used in grocery stores to move produce.
Thomas Jefferson
Chuck
Mob Team Member
Mob Team Member

Postby Jim » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:28 pm

Chuck wrote:What's with the Navy and rollers? They never employed rollers. Always floor loaded. I did see one with rollers...like the ones we used in grocery stores to move produce.

those were called skate rollers,,we had them in c-133...dont know the load was floor loaded..guess where they picked up the load there was no pallets...back them navy crews also flew for MAC...assholes..
Jim
Mob Team Member
Mob Team Member

Previous

Return to On the Airstrip